Councillor for Ward 3 – Galashiels and District
Galashiels and District covers Boleside, Falahill, Fountainhall, Galashiels (including Langlee), Heriot, Stow and Torquhan
Sandy was first elected to the Scottish Borders Council in May 2007 and was re-elected in May 2012.
Sandy was born in Stow and has lived there nearly all his life. He was educated at Stow Primary and Galashiels Academy. He went on to study at Leith Nautical College, and over the years, has been employed within the North Sea Oil Industry and the Merchant Navy. He also taught for over 28 years, and is now retired from his most recent post as Lecturer, Faculty of Technology at Jewel and Esk College. He is married with three grown up sons. Sandy and his wife still live in Stow.
Sandy says “I am passionate about the Gala Water area which is a wonderful place to live and enjoy.
As The Borders Party Councillor for Galashiels and District, I will be working to:
- repair some of the damage done to the “Capital” of the Gala Water and try to ensure that future development is sympathetic to its history and traditions
- support local businesses to help regenerate the local economy
- improve the basics of daily life: cleaner streets, tidier more accessible graveyards, better pavements, safer cycle and walkways and retaining travelling libraries
- improve radio and television reception in remote areas
- ensure no further reduction in fire engine and ambulance cover
- support voluntary groups in all activities around Galashiels and District who give us our way of life
- encourage sporting activities for everybody.
I am in local government because if affects everybody’s daily life. Support The Borders Party – we are different!”
What issues are important to you?
Please tell me about the issues you would like me to take up on your behalf.
Sandy is currently
- The Leader of the Independent Group within the Council
- The Executive Member for Education
And on the following Committees, boards etc
- Education Committee
- Education Performance (HMIe) Sub-Committee
- School Attendance Sub-Committee
- Education Appeals Sub-Committee
- Social Work and Housing Committee
- Standards Committee
- Political Management Arrangements Members’ Sounding Board
- Appeals Panel
- Galashiels Common Good Fund Sub-Committee
- Police, Fire and Rescue and Safer Communities Pathfinder Board
- Community Health & Care Partnership
- Eildon Area Forum
And his other public services include
- Borders Learning and Skills Partnership
- Education Children and Young People
- Ettrick and Lauderdale Sports Council
- Galashiels Policies and Langlee Woods Management Committee
- Galashiels Local Relief Fund Committee
James McLean Trust